Sunday 17 March 2013

Beannachtaí Lá Fhéile Phádraig!

Lá Fhéile Phádraig atá inniu!  Today is St. Patrick's Day!
 
 
Is é Naomh Pádraig an naomh pátrún na hÉireann. Thug sé an Chríostaíocht go dtí ár dtír. Tá sé ina lá chun ceiliúradh a dhéanamh ár n-oidhreacht agus ár gcultúr.
 
St. Patrick is the patron saint of Ireland. He brought Christianity to our country. It is a day to celebrate our heritage and our culture.
  

Tá sé seo conas a bhí mé a cheiliúradh inniu...
This is how I've celebrated today...

Maisithe mé ár dteach le bratach beag baile-déanta.
I decorated our house with a little homemade banner...


Roinnt Seamróg. Some Shamrock...

 
Roint leabhar na héireann. Some Irish Reading...
 
 
Seamróg roinnt níos mó. Some more Shamrock...


Roinnt milseáin glas! Some emerald green sweets!

 
Cóirithe mé i glas Kelly agus chaith mé tseamróg ar mo chóta.
 I dressed in Kelly green and wore shamrock on my coat.
 

 
Chuaigh muid go dtí Aifreann i séipéal Naomh Pádraig .
We went to mass in St. Patrick's church.
 
http://www.panoramio.com/user/1638312?with_photo_id=12035150
 
Ag Aifreann, léamh againn Naomh Pádraig Lúireach. An uair dheireanach a léigh mé é, bhí mé ag seasamh leis an taise de Naomh Pádraig i Ardeaglais Naomh Pádraig i Nua-Eabhrac.
 
We read St. Patrick's Breastplate at mass. The last time I read it I was standing at the relic of St. Patrick in St. Patrick's Cathedral, New York City.
 
 
Tar éis aifreann, chuaigh muid chun cuairt a thabhairt ar mo inlaws. Bhí orainn bricfeasta deas na hÉireann; ispíní, slisíní bagúin, uibheacha agus cuid de na arán sóide inné. Ó, agus go leor de na tae te álainn Lyons!

After mass, we went to visit my inlaws. We had a nice Irish breakfast; sausages, rashers, eggs and some of yesterday's soda bread. Oh, and lots of lovely hot Lyons tea!

Bhreathnaigh muid ar an paráidí. We watched the parades.
 

Do dinnéar, ith muid rud éigin go traidisiúnta na hÉireann; bagún agus cabáiste, le go leor de prátaí agus anlann peirsil, hmmm.

For dinner, we had something traditionally Irish; bacon and cabbage, with lots of mashed potatoes and parsley sauce, hmmm.

 

Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit, cibé áit a bhfuil tú!
Happy St. Patrick's Day to you, wherever you are!
 
"Irishness is not primarily a question of birth or blood or language, it is the condition of being involved in the Irish situation,
and usually being mauled by it."
Conor Cruise O'Brien.

9 comments:

  1. Lá Fhéile Pádraig Sona Duit!
    I loved everything about this post: seeing how you spent your day, the fact that it was bilingual, the pot of clover you have at home and the quote at the end!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd never read St. Patrick's Breastplate and I must find a copy for myself - beautiful! I loved your post. And no, sadly I've never been to Ireland, the land of my mom's family. A dream for the future for sure!

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  3. My McGuire family came to America in 1775 and settled in Philadelphia so he is my 4rd great grandfather. I love to celebrate St. Paddy's Day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I'm so sorry that it has taken me this long to get back with you. A happy St. Patrick's day to you! My last name is "Duffy" so there's a good bit of Irish on my hubby's side.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was a day of perfect happiness in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful blog you have and your sharing a lovely day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That parsley sauce looks so good ... I would love the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. It looks like you had a wonderful, celebratory day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post... I loved that you shared a bit of history about St. Patrick's Day along with how you and your family celebrated. I also loved that part of your post was in Irish... very cool.

    ReplyDelete

You might also like...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...